Monday, September 20, 2010

Brotherly Love

Wanda and Otto are just like any set of human siblings.  They fight, make up, and then fight again.  Ultimately, they'll always have each others' back, but getting there can sometimes be a wild and woolly ride.  

For example, this morning, Wanda was snuggling under the covers.  Really, what she was doing was sleeping there, but that's not important.  The important part was that she was enjoying her "me" time and having uninterrupted time to just nap.  Until Otto got involved, anyway.

I see Otto jump up on the bed, and I'm not really paying attention.  I'm trying to get ready to go to work, so I'm not looking directly at him.  All of a sudden, I hear the scratch scratch scratch of Otto "rabbit-kicking" something.  You know what I mean...where they hold on to something (or someone) with their front claws and kick rapidly at them with their back claws, kind of like a rabbit "thumping" something?  I turn around to look, and notice that Otto is rabbit-kicking the inert lump under the covers, otherwise known as Wanda.  Wanda doesn't move.  Otto kicks some more, and then starts doing his impatient trilling noise.  "Play with me, dammit!" he seems to be saying.  Wanda doesn't budge.  

Now, I'm starting to get concerned, because normally she would take the bait and start fighting back from under the covers, but she doesn't.  So I have to pull up the covers a tiny bit and peek at her for a second.  Her long-suffering expression indicates that "yes, I'm fine," and "why won't he just leave me the heck alone?!"  I carefully put the covers back with a smile.  

Sean, in an effort to defuse the situation, coaxed Otto away from his sister by telling him he could have some front porch time, which sent Otto running towards the door with a joyous meowy woo, woo, WOO!!

Postscript:  Sean tells me that a little later this afternoon, Otto and Wanda were "spooning" together, and Otto had his front paw over Wanda protectively.  Don't you just love sibling rivalry, and how quickly it can turn into brotherly love?

1 comment: